Monday, June 16, 2008

Saying Goodbye... Over and Over

This is hard. When I came to Mongolia, I knew that people would be in and out of my life. What I didn't expect was that so many would be leaving at the same time.... or at least planning to. As it turns out, I get to say goodbye to the same people multiple times as flights continue to get delayed. So far, no one has made it out of Mongolia at their scheduled departure time, with at least one person being stuck her for an extra 48 hrs when she is trying to get to St. Petersburg, Russia, where her family is awaiting her arrival.

To those who are leaving Mongolia for good,

Thank you for all you have done and all you have been. This is a year that will remain entrenched in my memories and in my day-to-day outlook on life. I would not trade a moment of this year for anything. I will think of you everytime I look at the mountains, sit on a rooftop and mostly any time anything odd happens. I will miss you all. I look forward to the opportunities to catch up whenever and wherever that may be. As a good friend of mine once said, "I'll see you then." I've always felt that simple sentence captured the idea perfectly. I wish you all the best of luck. Enjoy your new adventures and stay safe in your endeavours.

Your friend,

Colin

No comments: