Monday, September 10, 2007

The Use of a Horn

So, all of you back in Canada may understand the use of a car horn to mean one of two things. Either "Watch it, you're going to cause an accident," or, "Hey! I know you and want to get your attention."

Here, there are a few options as to what the use of the horn might mean:

1. "You are in my way, and I don't like it." honk honk (Used both when someone IS and is NOT supposed to be there)
2. "You are somewhere that I might want to be in the future." honk honk
3. "You are neither in my way, nor in a place I plan to go, but I want you to know that I'm here anyway." honk honk
4. "You are unable to move (or unwilling) and I feel that honking my horn is an adequate solution." honk honk
5. "I am passing you." honk honk
6. "I haven't honked for the past 30-45 seconds, and I fear that I might have forgotten how." honk honk
7. "I don't know what else to do with my hand while I'm driving." honk honk

This is just a sampling, as we find new reasons for horn honking everyday. It seems that there is actually little reason to refrain from using one's horn. It's actually become a source of amusement for us. It's right up there with the Mongolian need to punch every so often (see Dan's blog for that explanation)

No comments: